What are cockroaches?
Cockroaches are warm-weather pests that are most prevalent in the summer months. However, they’re really a year-round pest problem in Havertown that property owners should be prepared to face. There are over 4,000 species of cockroaches in the world. As one of the most formidable and oldest pests around, they’re extremely adaptable pests that can survive in even dire conditions.
Are cockroaches dangerous?
Cockroaches are filthy pests. They feed on decaying matter, travel through sewage, and pick up all kinds of germs and pathogens along the way. When they infest our properties, they bring these germs inside and proceed to leave droppings throughout the house. Between the shed skins, the excrement, the saliva, and all the bacteria they spread around, cockroaches cause considerable contamination, which exposes you to a long list of adverse health conditions. A study determined a total of 30 species of human bacteria associated with cockroach infestations.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
If you’re wondering why cockroaches are in your home in the first place, you should know that when they infest your house, they are searching for humidity, harborage, and food. They are sneaky pests that can enter your home via cracks and crevices in the foundation, exterior walls, spaces under doors, around windows, vents, and torn screens. They can also be brought indoors inside of deliveries, on used furniture, and in cardboard boxes, potted plants, or appliances.
Where will I find cockroaches?
Cockroaches hide in secluded areas behind appliances, under cabinets, in pantries, and inside garbage containers and other bacteria-laden spaces. They’re also known to infest moisture-rich areas of the home like kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
To rid your home of cockroaches, you’ll need to pay close attention to three things in your house — cleanliness, moisture buildup, and food sources. These three most common culprits create an environment conducive to infestations. Here are some tips to help you get rid of cockroaches around your property:
- Apply weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Repair damaged screens and install door sweeps.
- Inspect all items before allowing them inside.
- Address any moisture issues around the house.
- Fix leaky pipes, faucets, and downspouts.
- Install dehumidifiers in humid areas.
- Utilize vent fans and other methods to reduce excess moisture.
- Eliminate easy access to food sources.
- Don’t leave any food out, pet food included.
- Store your food in sealed, airtight containers.
- Keep your household appliances clean.
- Wipe up messes and spills as promptly as possible.
- Keep your property as clean as possible.
- Eliminate any clutter around the house.
- Sweep beneath the stove and fridge.
- Vacuum the floors regularly.
- Take out the trash routinely.
- Store the garbage outside in a sealed bin.
- Seal spaces around wires, cables, and pipes.
- Address areas around utilities that enter from the outdoors.
While all of these preventative tips can be extremely helpful in deterring cockroach activity, none of them are 100% effective on their own. The most reliable way to protect your property from cockroach infestation is to contact professional residential pest control and commercial pest control experts.
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
Here at Cunningham Pest Control, we offer comprehensive cockroach control and prevention services that you can depend on all year long. Our dedicated team provides the complete and accurate detection and elimination of cockroach activity, and our experts are here to keep them out of your home all year long. Reach out to Cunningham Pest Control today to secure dependable protection against a cockroach infestation. We’re here to help.
Recent Blog Articles
Are mosquitoes posing significant problems in your yard? Licensed pest controllers have tools and equipment that will significantly reduce the population.Read More
If there are stink bugs around your Newtown Square home, read on to discover what brings these pests into our homes and how to get rid of them.Read More
When termites infest your property, they weaken the structure from the inside out. Read on to learn more about the dangers of termite infestation.Read More